Thursday, June 7, 2007

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

“Unbelievable” is what I kept saying when the bidding for this particular garage sale find just kept going up!

I picked up a binder at a garage sale that I thought was full of baseball or football trading cards, but it was American Girl trading cards. I didn’t even know American Girl made trading cards. I asked, “How much?”. The lady said “twenty-five cents”. I bought it. I know American Girl “stuff” does fairly well on Ebay but I really had no idea if these trading cards would be the same. I figured for 25 cents I could take a chance.

When I got home and researched the cards, I was right. They have, at times, done well. Well, a month went by and I thought about giving them to my daughter, Allison, who has recently started reading the series. However, before I did that, I looked one more time on Ebay to see the potential profit. This time I wasn’t seeing buyers paying that much for them. Would it really be worth my time to list them? I would have to list them by each individual character. Well… that night, I decided to give the Ebay wheel-of-chance a spin..

Listing them by character here are the sales:

Addy (22 cards) - $11.49
Samantha (18 cards) - $22.49
Josefina (17 cards) - $6.57
Kaya (15 cards) - 99 cents
Molly (21 cards) - 99 cents
Kirsten (21 cards) - 99 cents
Felicity (19 cards) - 99 cents

Not bad for a 25 cent investment, huh? So, why would I say this Ebay auction was “Unbelievable”?

Well… there was one more set a cards that I didn’t mention.

Kit (14 cards) - $113.50

Yep! $113.50 for 14 little cards!!!

Those trading cards brought $158.01 total. Remember, my investment was only 25 cents! Now, do you see why I say “unbelievable”!

Well, if you read my early blog about the Madame Alexander doll you saw that I asked the winning bidder why my doll sold for such a high price. One of the other trading card buyers had e-mailed me a question, and she seemed friendly. I asked her if she knew about the value of my Kit trading cards. Here is what she wrote me back:

Lynn, to answer you question, you really hit the jackpot. The 1994 300 box set cards are worth something, but 1998 thru 2001 cards are starting to get really expensive. 1998 card box sets were 360, but they were laced with leftover 1994 cards. This was the year they came out with Josefina, her cards are the 3rd hardest to find but stilI can be found, but Samantha and Addy got new different 60 card sets then, and due to the mixing they are the 2nd hardest to find. I couldn't believe your Kit cards brought way over $100, for a few loose cards!!! But, here is the deal, Kit cards were made in two batches, 2000 Kit cards 1-30, were only made a couple of years, but 2001 Kit cards 31-60 were only made about a year, or less!! This makes them very hard to find, to complete ones set, that's why yours brought so much. I hope this info helped explain, God bless, PJ. I couldn't afford them so I am still looking for some of Kit's!!!

So, keep your eyes open at those garage sales or thrift stores because you never know what little gold mine you may find.

Until next time… happy hunting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

I found your blogspot. I've been toying with the whole Ebay/garage sale business opportunity all month. Yours site is a HUGE encouragement. I'm looking forward to reading more adventures. We are starting with some books to sell first.

Thanks,
Erin